Thursday, September 15, 2011

Developing my GAME plan

Developing My Personal GAME Plan

After reviewing the National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T), I decided to strengthen my proficiency in the following two standards; Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility, and Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership. The following will outline the GAME (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009) plan for achieving these two goals.
 
I have already begun work on achieving the first goal of promoting and modeling digital citizenship and responsibility.  My actions taken thus far have been to go back through my digital archives to make sure that all of the documents, photos, and media are properly cited as well as making a more conscious effort when promoting and modeling better digital etiquette.  Future actions will include the teaching of three safety and ethical use lessons and engage students in online collaborative interactions focused on responsible social interactions.  In order to monitor my own progress, I will keep a log of each lesson outlining successes and challenges.  As a means of evaluating students, each will be required to demonstrate learned knowledge when completing each lesson.  Rubrics will also be updated to reflect etiquette and social responsibility making assessment more authentic and meaningful.  Extensions for these lessons could include writing to references for permission to use copyrighted materials or creating screencast to share more information.
 
The second goal, engaging in professional growth and leadership, will be met by working with collogues, peers, and my PLC to promote technology infusion, discuss consistent and creative ways to enhance core learning, and look at how technology can contribute.  One PLC meetings is scheduled each six weeks for a total count of six meetings by the end of the school year.  Agendas are utilized to maintain focus on set goals and minutes are taken at each meeting to ensure proper documentation of progress over time.  As the computer teacher, I tend to be the go-to guy for anything technology.  Because of this, I often find myself taking a leadership position to model, promote, and teach effective technology usage throughout the day.  I have decided to start tracking my interactions with others in the school through a self-made technology assistance form.  As teachers come to me with questions, advice, or technical assistance, I will use the form to document the situation and monitor progress from inception to fruition.  This will also allow me to track patterns that may arise, such as common equipment/program issues.   Through identifying common issues, professional development can be tailored to small groups thus increasing the effectiveness of the training.  In working with my PLC, collogues, and peers I hope to gain better insight into my own teaching experiences and those that I work with on a daily basis.    


Reference,

 Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx

2 comments:

  1. Robert, I think it is great that you are implementing lessons to teach your students about safety and proper etiquette while using the Internet. I think this is an area of 21st century literacy that does not get the attention it needs. Teaching at the level you do, you will be able to instill good habits in your students who will really live in a technological world. I plan on teaching my middle schoolers a couple of lessons on how to cite sources properly myself.

    I also think it's great that you are logging the successes and challenges of the different lessons that you're implementing. That is something that I need to start doing so that I am really taking the time to reflect on my teaching and my growth as an educator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert:

    "Future actions will include the teaching of three safety and ethical use lessons and engage students in online collaborative interactions focused on responsible social interactions."

    I think this is a great idea to really work with promoting internet safety. This is also one of my main concerns with my students. I just want to make sure that they understand the dangers without feeling as if the lesson is a joke or cheesy. If the lesson is too light they won't take it seriously, if it is too heavy they might be scared. I guess we just have to find a common ground. Another classmate of ours shared this website with me, and it is very helpful. www.cybersafety.org

    I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete