Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Monitoring My GAME Plan Progress

 
Thus far, my GAME plan (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009) is on track.  I have located almost all of the necessary information and resources.  In terms of my first goal, to promote and model digital citizenship and responsibility (NETS-T, 2008), about 80% of my digital library is properly cited or replaced.  I have downloaded the signature pages and pledge for the online safety and ethical lessons, and installed Jing software on all of the computers in the lab.  For my second goal, to engage in professional growth and leadership (NETS-T, 2008), I have met with my PLC to discuss and promote technology infusion for the next six weeks.  It was a productive meeting wherein we established three goals for technology integration.  I was also able to create and distribute the help form for better documentation and monitoring of technology successes and challenges.

To date, the plan has not needed modification.  Although, due to some overcrowding, two new teachers will be added next week and eight classes will become ten.  With the shift in students, I may need to modify the dates for conducting the safety and ethical lessons in order to prevent duplication or learners missing the lesson.

I have learned quite a bit this week including technical issues teachers are having with the new math CDs and how difficult it can be to locate the proper citing for older internet resources.  The district purchased a new math series that has a great deal of online and CD resources to enhance the learning.  Unfortunately, due to a rights issue established by the district, teachers were having difficulty installing the software needed to interact with the content.  As a result, I will have to install the software as an administrator before they can access all of the features.  I have already begun this process.  I have also come to realize how old some of my online resources were.  It has been difficult to cite some material because the site no longer exists.  For this reason, I have taken this opportunity to update a good portion of my photos, video segments, audio clips, and printed material. 

Other than, why did the district purchased a math series and not provide the rights for teachers to install it? - No new questions have arisen as I have progressed through my GAME plan. 

References,
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx

3 comments:

  1. Robert,

    The decisions districts makes often leave us with many questions and unfortunately even when LSTC's do ask the questions still go unanswered. Just this week I tried to collaborate with a teacher I worked with over the Summer but unfortunately because the software at her school is different than mine (we both work in the same district) we were not able to continue the work we started this summer. Instances such as these are very frustrating. When I asked my LSTC about it no suggestion was offered. With that said, how can they encourage collaboration and even pay us to attend district wide training and then have no solutions to technology issues such as these. So now, this set back has delayed our work and may even eventually stop it because let us be honest when things like this get in the way we simply push it to the back of our list and all of what we learned this summer will go unused and therefore will be forgotten. Seems like just a waste of money to me.

    ~Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert,

    It amazes me to watch and see how wastefully districts spend their monies. If we ran a household like municipalities, we would be out on the street! My district is suffering in the state standardized tests, so we purchased language arts books. The students rocked that portion of the test last year. However, the district has not paid the bill, so this year's books have not been ordered. This is very frustrating for teachers to use less and less resources to have mandated learning occur. I truly understand your frustration with the CD struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert,

    Have you ever faced with any problem while you have been replacing not cited documents with others? When I try to replace, especially some images in my presentations, some the images I have found from Internet also copied from other sites and there is no citation. I lived difficult times to find real source of the image sometimes.

    ReplyDelete