Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Final Reflections


In looking back on this course, I feel that I have learned a great deal about the inquiry-based teaching model and the new literacies vital to our student’s success in the future.  Developing an initial question, searching for resources, evaluating the information, then synthesizing the information to produce a final product for communicating can be difficult and challenging task for most elementary students.  However, if taught correctly through modeling and gradual release of power to the students, and given time and practice, even the youngest students can begin developing good inquiry habits.

The most striking revelations I had about teaching the new literacy skills to my students were how good they were at evaluating websites for authenticity and how they struggled with developing essential questions and synthesizing.  I was pleasantly surprised to see how well students took to the process of evaluating websites.  As Dr. Hartman discussed, students must become analytical and critical readers when evaluating online resources (Laureate Education Inc., 2010a).  I believe that the students used their previous experiences with the Internet, along with my modeling and the ABC’s evaluation chart (Laureate Education Inc., 2010b), to make good choices when evaluating online resources.  I was very proud.  On the other hand, I was a little dismayed when working with students on developing essential questioning skills and synthesizing information from multiple sites.   Developing the initial question was quite a challenge for the students - more so than I would have thought.  Students ask questions all day, every day; however, they rarely go beyond simple question that can easily be answered with simple recalled facts.  Dr. Thornburg’s six characteristics of a good question (2004) were helpful, but I may need to rewrite them using more kid friendly language.   

The knowledge and experiences gained during this course will influence my own teaching practices in several ways.  First, to increase student awareness of copyright, I will pay closer attention to what and how I model materials in the classroom.  In the future when materials are presented, I will make a point to cite the resource clearly and boldly.  To ensure continuity from teacher to teacher, I will also be conducting a few professional development sessions with collogues to share the knowledge I have gained about citation and the importance of teaching and modeling citation skills on a daily basis.  A second change in my teaching practices will include making a concerted effort to model better questioning while thinking aloud Dr. Thornburg’s six characteristics (2004).  I will also be adding a poster of the characteristics in the classroom as a visual guide when developing their own questions.   The last change will come in the form of allowing more opportunities for students to practice their newly developing skills.  As the year progresses, I will try to integrate more inquiry-based learning into the curriculum.

When looking towards future professional development I would like to pursue more information on teaching synthesis.  Even with the resources provided for this course, I still feel there is much more I could learn about getting students to make synthesis a part of their everyday lives.  Eagleton and Dobler (2007) discussed the importance of this new literacy skill and reminded me that it is also one of the most difficult for students to master.   In order to achieve this goal, I will use the inquiry-based process to develop a systematic plan for locating, evaluating, synthesizing, and communicating new knowledge.  As I become more informed about the synthesis process and how other have effectively utilized it, I will begin working with small groups of students to test the new knowledge and determine effectiveness.  

This course has been a good learning experience for my students and me.  I have gained a great deal of knowledge and experience in the inquiry process and, as a result, I feel bettered prepared to teach the new literacies with confidence. 

References

Eagleton, M. B., & Dobler, E. (2007). Reading the web: Strategies for Internet inquiry. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2010a). Program number 2: New Literacies [DVD]. Supporting Information Literacy and Online Inquiry in the Classroom. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2010b). Program number 6: A Teacher’s Perspective: Evaluating Information Online [DVD]. Supporting Information Literacy and Online Inquiry in the Classroom. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Thornburg, D. (2004). Inquiry: The art of helping students ask good questions (Executive Briefing No. 402). Retrieved from http://www.tcpdpodcast.org/briefings/inquiry.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment